Pages


Friday, November 19, 2010

Why we hunt?

I spent some time the other day talking with a hardcore to the max, die hard waterfowler and by the way fellow brother in Christ and good friend. As we were talking about opening day of the 2010 duck season, which as I write this blog is only (8 hrs 28 minutes away) the topic came up about why we hunt ducks or any other game for that matter. I thought for a minute or so then answered, I love to hunting ducks because I get the chance to fellowship with other outdoorsmen, try my skill at convincing ducks that I am a duck, working my dog on retrieves and enjoying all that God has made. My buddy sitting there, looked at me with a calm stare and no emotion and said "no its not". Of course I responded, " what" and He said" no its not". That is not why we hunt ducks. We hunt ducks because we want to kill as many ducks the law allows! I was completely blown away! He continues with, I dont want to hear all that stuff, yes its okay and fun and all but the main reason we get up at dark thirty in the freezing cold is to kill ducks. I was still in a comatose state as he was talking. After gaining composure, I said not for me. I really enjoy the fellowship and witnessing first hand God's work through what he has made. It was then that he hit me with the toughest question I had faced regarding hunting in a very long time. He said, " Let me ask you this then, if you were able to duck hunt every day of the season, or at least whenever your wife allowed you to go, knowing that no matter what you can not shoot another duck, would you still go"? Man, I tell you what, I was floored! As I sat there thinking about the question, many things were racing through my mind. Am I being set up to admit I'm a killer? Am I going to face the fact that I have been fooling myself as well as all the guys I have taken hunting over the past several years? Honestly, I didnt know what to say. I basically rehearsed what I had said earlier in the conversation. It wasn't until tonight that it hit me, like # 2 steel right upside my head, You hunt because I give you the opportunity to hunt. We who are Outdoorsmen must not get caught up with just the thrill of the kill. I have seen and personally know many guys who's only goal is to kill as many ducks, deer or whatever they pursue they possibly can in a season or they feel it has been wasted. Sadly, they are missing the mark. Yes, harvesting an animal is awesome! Two is unbelievable!! but let's not forget Who made everything in the entire universe so we can enjoy it. It was God Almighty, Creator of all! He made the beautiful animals that we pursue day in and day out. We should be thanking Him for His grace and mercy. As Romans 1:20 says, " we are without excuse for not knowing God through what He has made" (paraphrase mine) . I hunt to bring God glory, period. I really believe He has giving me the passion to chase ducks so I can share His love and forgiveness with other men. I enjoy watching a duck "fold up" just like the next guy, but I also enjoy the deep conversations I have had with men who are struggling with something in their lives. When looking at the beauty of a drake wood duck, and seeing the maticulous craftwork that only God could have done, I am in awe, speechless. As beautiful as a wood duck is, we are that much more valuable to Him. He loves us that much. As I close this blog in preparation for tomorrow morning, I am already going to the swamp with a whole different attitude. I know why I hunt, the question is," Why do you?"

2 comments:

  1. Tough one. If you keep going morning after morning, weekend after weekend of getting skunked and you leave the blind saying 'well at least we got to get out", or "better than being a work". If you thank God for a safe hunt and the opportunity to watch the sunrise then it's not about just killing a duck. Its about your hunting buddies, breakfast in the blind, the prayer for the hunt. Killing a duck is a bonus. Years from now when your too old to make it out for a hunt you're probably not gonna remember how many ducks you killed opening week 30 years from now. You will remember the good times with your buddies, fellowship, jokes, and the stories. If your hunting just to kill a duck you probably hunt alone and you probably don't enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. Its the fellowship with other men who share the same passion that turns a cold morning in the swamp into an enjoyable hunt. The old saying "one duck on the ground is better than two in the air" well, that is true. However, one lost soul hearing God's truth, repenting and spending eternity in Heaven is the best trophy there is! Bar none!!

    ReplyDelete